Home

Tuesday 21 February 2023

Taking the positives from redundancy

 

The last couple of weeks have been challenging. We've seen 6.5% of our workforce made redundant, including one of my reports. We knew this was coming since we went from a public to a private company last year. It still doesn't blunt the pain of losing colleagues, many of whom have been with you through thick and thin.

When I started working all those years ago, the thought of changing employer every few years was something I hadn't envisaged. My first full-time job was for a large national bank, and the expectation was that it would be a job for life. I spent many happy years there working in various roles.

Then the inevitable happened and I was made redundant after 18 years of service. I'd seen it coming. That made it easier, but my pride and confidence took a short-term hit. It is human nature to feel wanted, and when someone tells you otherwise it does seem like a dagger has been stabbed in your back.

In circumstances like this, it's important to realise that it is nothing personal. At least it should be. If it seems like it's personal, there are options to explore including legal action. In the vast majority of cases, it's just business. Whether it is company priorities, finances, or mergers/acquisitions, the decision to downsize has been taken at a level where individuals are not considered.

My advice to anyone being made redundant is not to rush headlong into a job search. Take some time to evaluate your position and your options. Only you will know how much time to take but use it wisely. Is there some other field you'd rather work in? Is it time to make that move to the coast? Do you still want to work full-time? Have you a hobby that you could turn into a money-making business?

All these questions and more will help you understand your priorities. Speak to family and friends for their opinion. There is no stigma in redundancy anymore. Those days are long gone. Most of us have gone through it at some point, so you can be sure of a shoulder to lean on. Don't bottle it up. Remember a problem shared is a problem halved.

When you've thought things through, then you can polish your CV and approach recruiters. Be honest about your reasons for your job search. Unfortunately, your predicament is not unique so no one will think the worst of you. The chances are they'll sympathise because the same has happened to them in the past.

Above all don't forget to put yourself first. As Oscar Wilde once said, "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Unless your situation requires it, don't feel like you need to compromise on your ideal job. You're special and you deserve the best.

Postscript:
I strongly believe being made redundant was the best thing that happened to me professionally. I decided to pivot slightly by focussing on one of my skills for my job search. I don't regret the decision one bit and haven't looked back. Not only was I able to find a job that I thoroughly enjoy, but I've reached a financial position that my younger self could only dream of.

No comments:

Post a Comment