Home

Sunday 19 February 2023

Would you give up hybrid work?

 

Recent research by Bloomberg questioned central London employees about whether they'd ever want to return to the office full time. Unsurprisingly nearly three quarters of them said that it would require them to receive a pay increase to do so. Of those who said they'd leave their jobs if required to return to the office full time, only an 11% pay increase would get them to change their mind.

Even before the pandemic, I was working at least one day a week at home. Since the pandemic started, I can count on one hand the number of times I've been in the office. It helps that I work in the technology sector, so have all the tools I need to communicate effectively from anywhere with a wifi connection.

It's not possible for everyone to work remotely of course. There are professions that require face to face interaction. There are also jobs where being onsite is required, but if possible employers should allow their employees the option. If they don't, they could mind staff retention suffers. If their competitors offer something they don't, people will eventually vote with their feet.

So what are my reasons for not wanting to return to office life?

My commute is 90 minutes each way. That's three hours a day, fifteen hours a week.  It would be so bad if I could work during some of this time, but on cramped trains and buses often with standing room only, this is impossible. It is a complete waste of my time. I've spent over 40 years of my life suffering late running trains, motorway tailbacks, and fellow commuters with halitosis. Unless there is a good reason for commuting, I'd rather make better use of my time.

Not having to commute saves me nearly £300 a month in travel costs alone. Throw in the inflated costs of buying lunch or coffee in city centre outlets, and you can save a further £200 a month. I'm lucky that my employer pays for my home wifi and phone as well, so working from home saves me nearly £600 a month. That's a substantial additional contribution I can make to my pension.

Even if I was in the office, it wouldn't really benefit me. No amount of snacks, office lunches, or well stocked drinks fridge would tempt me back full time. I've a team spread across the world from San Francisco to Tel Aviv and Tokyo. That makes for working hours that are fluid at best, and calling someone at 6am or 9pm is so much better when you know you've got your creature comforts close by.

No comments:

Post a Comment