Home

Wednesday 12 April 2023

Beer, just not as you know it


What's your favourite beer?

Maybe you'd say lager, or stout, or mild. Maybe you'd plump for a brand name, but I bet you wouldn't say a powdered beer.

"A what?" you cry. Yes, a powdered beer that you just have to mix with water to enjoy. I must admit that an exclamation was my initial reaction also when I heard about the concept. That can't be right, or good for that matter. I had to do some research to find out more.

German brewery Klosterbrauerei Neuzelle has perfected the powered beer that just needs to be mixed with water to turn it into a lager. The omens are good if the standard of German breweries is anything to go by. 

The reasons for the powdered beer are environmental. According to the brewery, it will reduce its CO2 emissions between 3-5% in Germany alone. Instead of large and heavy bottles and crates, the beer would be delivered in powder packets. What's more, if the beer's rollout was mirrored worldwide, CO2 emissions could be halved.

If this all sounds too good to be true, well it is! The beer is currently alcohol free, but the brewery has plans to develop a range of alcohol filled beers. They say, 

“We want the complete beer taste. We have the foam and already have the beer taste. We want to add carbon dioxide in powder form. We want to add the alcohol in powder form. We can do all that with powder.”

Call me old fashioned, but I'll stick with my initial reaction. I wouldn't touch this beer with a bargepole. Not only does powdered beer fail the high standard of Germany's brewing industry, but it doesn't provide the effect of drinking alcohol. What is the point of that?

No comments:

Post a Comment