Home

Sunday 19 February 2023

To retire or carry on regardless?


Last week I very nearly made the decision to retire. I'll cover the reasons why I didn't in a future post, but for now I'm still in the land of the employed.

Retiring is not a decision to be taken lightly. There are many factors to consider before making the leap. 

Top of my list is whether I'll be able to afford the standard of living I aspire to in retirement. Thankfully it looks like I'll have no issues there, although unless you're on a final salary pension, your pension annuity is always an unknown quantity until the day you decide to take it.

Then there is how I'll spend all that free time. I doubt I'll have any problems with that either. I want to spend more time outdoors doing what I enjoy, be it walking, playing golf, or exercising. Maybe I'll volunteer somewhere and give something back to society.

Finally, there's the question of what my wife wants. She may continue working for a few years after I retire. That would be my ideal scenario, as selfishly it would allow me to do the things I know she doesn't like. However, anyone in a long-term relationship knows that a bit of give and take is part of the deal, and you know what they say...

"A happy wife is a happy life."


No comments:

Post a Comment